Author

Share

The Furnace

West of the village, in front of a building that, in the past, was the military police station, and next to the group practice structure, there are the remains of a foundry.

The remains of this foundry are a well-preserved example of industrial archaeology, dating back to 1838. The blast furnace, of a height of 12 metres, used to be loaded from the top and was used for the manufacture of iron and cast-iron, which mainly came from the mines in Cogne Valley.

The structure was in function until the end of the 19th century. The trails for the transportation of the material can still be found today, from the valley to the Pont d’Aël, and from here crossing the woods, arriving finally at the top of the furnace.

This furnace is the place where the famous fountain of  Cogne and some parts of the Mole Antonelliana of Turin were fused.

'' Audioguida   '' Download

Map

Nearby...loading